Zopiclone Oral : Uses, Side Effects, Interactions
COMMON BRAND(S): Imovane
1. About zopicologia
It helps you to go to sleep more quickly, and helps you prevent you from waking up during the night.
Zopiclone comes in the form of tablets. It also comes in the form of a liquid for those who are difficult to swallow pills, but this is especially important to be ordered by your doctor.
This medication is available on prescription only.
2. Key facts
• Zopiclone takes about 1 hour to work.
• Zopiclone is usually prescribed for just 2 to 4 weeks. This is because your body gets used to it quickly and after this time it is unlikely to have the same effect. Your body may also depend on it.
• Common Side Effects: A metal taste in your mouth, a dry mouth and sleep in the day.
• Do not drink alcohol when you are on zopiclone. By keeping them together, you can go deep into sleep where you find it difficult to get up.
• Zopiclone is also called the brand name Zimovane.
3. Who can not take zopiclone
Zopiclone can be taken by adults over 18 years of age.
This is not suitable for some people.
To make sure that zopiclone is safe for you, tell your doctor if you:
• In the past, allergic reaction has been done to zopiclone or any other medicine
• The problem of liver or kidney
• Myasthenia gravis,, a disease that causes muscle weakness
• Breathlessness or sleep apnoea (where you stop breathing for short breaths while sleeping)
• Have mental health problems
• There were issues with alcohol or drug misuse
• Trying to get pregnant, already pregnant, or breastfeeding
4. How and when to take it
Zopiclone tablets come in 2 different strengths: 3.75mg and 7.5mg.
The normal dose is to take a 7.5mg tablet just before going to bed. It takes about 1 hour to work.
If you are 65 years of age or having kidney or liver problems then starting a low dose of 3.75mg can be recommended.
Low doses in these cases reduce the risk of excessive sleep and other side effects.
Swallow the pellet full. Do not crush it or chew it. You can take zopiclone with or without food.
It is important to take it exactly the way your doctor told you. You can be asked to take a tablet on only 2 or 3 nights per night instead of every night.
Do not take more than your prescribed dose.
What if I forget to take it?
If you forget to take it while sleeping, then start again next night.
Never take 2 doses at the same time. Do not take extra doses to forget anytime.
What if I take too much?
If you have taken more than your prescribed dose with accident, call your doctor for advice.
If you take too much zopiclone then contact the doctor directly.
Do this even if you do not feel any different.
If you need to go to the hospital, take a gyclicon packet or leaflet with you, as well as any remaining medicine.
If you feel comfortable going along with a friend or family member to go to the hospital in case of sleeping on the way. Do not drive yourself.
5. Side Effects
Not everyone will get side effects with zopiclone.
These common side effects occur in more than 1 in 100 people.
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if these side effects bother you or do not go away:
• A bitter or metallic flavor in your mouth or dry mouth
• Feeling sleepy or exhausted
Serious side effects
Serious side effects are rare, but you should call your doctor as soon as possible:
- lose your memory – this is called amnesia
- see or hear things that aren’t real – these are called hallucinations
- fall over, especially if you’re elderly
- think things that aren’t true – these are called delusions
- feel low or sad – this could be a sign of depression
Serious allergic reaction
In rare cases, it’s possible to have a serious allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) to zopiclone.
Contact the doctor directly if:
• You may have a skin rash that may include itching, red, swelling, blister or skin peeling.
• You are wheezing
• You are tight in chest or throat
• You have trouble breathing or talking
• Your mouth, face, lips, tongue or throat swelling
These are signs of a serious allergic reaction.
A serious allergic reaction is an emergency situation.
6. How to Face Side Effects
What to do:
A bitter or metallic taste in your mouth or a dry mouth – if it bothers you, try taking water sip and keep a little water on your bed at night. Using mouthwash before sleep can also help. Choose a good for dry mouth, because some can spoil dry mouth.
Feeling sleepy or tired – do not use equipment or machinery if you are feeling this way. Do not drink any alcohol because this will make you feel more tired. If this does not help, talk to your doctor.
7. Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
If you are pregnant, do not take Zopiclone, because it can damage the developing baby. It can also cause side effects in newborns.
There is some evidence that taking zopiclone can increase the risk of early birth of your baby (before 37 weeks) and baby birth is less weight.
Taking a zopicolon just before delivery may increase the likelihood of withdrawal of symptoms at the time of childbirth.
For more information on how you and your child can affect during pregnancy.
Zopiclone and Breastfeeding
Zopiclone passes in the breast milk in small quantities.
If you have to take zopiclone, talk to your doctor or midwife about your feeding options.
Tell your doctor if you’re:
- trying to get pregnant
8. Careful with other drugs
Some medicines and zopiclons can interfere with each other and increase the likelihood of your side effects.
Some medicines can increase the effect of Zopiclone (fainting).
If you take any of the following, talk to your doctor or pharmacist before starting zopiclone:
- medicines to treat schizophrenia and bipolar disorder
- medicines to treat depression
- medicines for epilepsy
- medicines to calm or reduce anxiety, or for sleep problems
- medicines for hay fever, rashes or other allergies that can make you sleepy (sedative antihistamines, such as chlorphenamine or promethazine)
- strong painkillers (such as codeine, methadone, morphine, oxycodone, pethidine or tramadol)
- erythromycin or clarithromycin (antibiotics used to treat infections)
- medicines used to treat fungal infections (such as ketoconazole and itraconazole)
- ritonavir (a medicine used to treat HIV infections)
Combining zopiclone with herbal remedies and supplements
Do not take any herbal remedies which give you a sense of sleep while taking zopiclone.
They can increase the effect of your medicine (sedating).
For safety, tell your doctor or pharmacist whether you are taking any other medication including herbal remedies, vitamins or supplements.
Disclaimer: DrLinex has made every effort to ensure that all information is factually accurate, comprehensive and up-to-date. However, this article should not be used as a licensed health care professional’s choice of knowledge and expertise. You should always consult your doctor or other health care professional before taking any medication. The information given here is subject to change and it has not been used to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions or adverse effects. The lack of warning or other information for any drug does not indicate that the combination of medicine or medication is safe, effective or appropriate for all patients or all specific uses.